Holiday Tour Homes
A collection of past homes featured in PCHDA's Holiday Home Tour
718 N Wayne Street
David Keyt House Est. 1850
The house was built in 1850 by David Keyt, a local carpenter who worked at a near by saw mill. Greek Revival architecture is characterized by the two flat faced, full height columns on the front, intended to represent a Greek Temple. The original double door front entrance is common to the Victorian era. The house rests on a foundation of quarried stone walls 18 -20 inches thick and all rooms have 14 foot ceilings. The floors are pine and a hand carved cherry staircase in the entrance hall was added in 1890. There have been several additions, including a side porch, however the main house is basically as it was when it was built.
615 N Wayne Street
Benjamin Leavell House Est. 1845 Steve Koon
This Greek Revival house was built as a retirement home for Benjamin Leavell, one of the original 1805 settlers of Piqua. Although originally Federal in architecture, owner Dr. W.S. Parker added the front portico and changed its style in the 1880’s. The A.W. French family renovated and added the third floor and south side bays over 100 years ago in 1919. Much of the interior woodwork and fireplace mantles were added as well.
711 N Wayne Street
William Cron House Est. 1887 Nikki & Jason Townsend
This house was originally built in 1887 for William Cron of the Cron Furniture Manufacturing in the Queen Ann Style. It was later remodeled and greatly enlarged in 1903 and again in 1911 to include elements of the Neo-Adamesque style with wood herringbone floors, hand-painted Asian murals, two massive chimney stacks, green tile roof, a classic revival porch with paired fluted Doric posts and spindle balustrade that wraps around to a porte-cochere. The home is currently being renovated to bring it back to its original glory.
325 Riverside Dr.
John Butler House Est. 1839 Kyrstal & Craig Stephenson
This property was acquired by John Butler in 1839 with the house first appearing on tax roles in 1847. The house sat on 3.25 acres of land with several outbuildings across the street from the canal. Captain Butler owned two freighters the “Hope” and the “Miami Valley” and with the decommission of the canal, the doors of the freighters were used for the front and rear entries to this five-bay Greek Revival. There have been several additions to the house over the centuries and are being enjoyed today.
714 N Wayne St
JW Brown House Est. 1902 Rosemary & Paul Gutmann
This late Queen Anne Style home was constructed in 1902 by Airhart M. Fry for J.W. Brown, founder of the popular turn-of the century J.W. Brown Store located on Main Street in Piqua. The First Presbyterian Church bought the home to serve as its ‘manse’ in 1924. Architectural features include half timbering in the third floor gables and high multiple roofs. Other classical features include charming bay windows and the porte-cochere leading to the two-story carriage house.
321 N Downing Street
Dr. Charles R. Coffeen Est. 1894 Tammy & David Wright
The Queen Anne style home was constructed in 1894 and built for Dr. Charles Rollin Coffeen and his wife, Jennie Branson Coffeen. His doctor’s office sat on the property where the driveway currently sits, with the house was built next to it. In 1901 the property was sold to Dr. Webb Kelly,a renowned surgeon for the railroad. Then later sold to George Peffer, President of the Piqua National Bank. Over the years he house passed through a couple more owners, and businesses including a beauty shop and photography studio. Okey and Thelma Scott, Tammy’s grandparents, purchased the home in 1991 and in 2013 David and Tammy Wright took possession. Sadly a house fire occurred a few months later but thanks to
the Piqua Fire Department, the fire was contained quickly and fully restored to its original condition.
328 N Downing Street
Samuel M. Allison Est. 1912 Tracy & Joe Thobe
This Tudor style home was built in 1912 for Samuel M. Allison, Secretary-Treasurer of the Cron-Kills Furniture Company. Construction was performed by Airhart Fry and his name is stamped on the back of some of the wood trim. The interior of this home retains many of its unique features - picture frame flooring throughout, beautiful tiger oak woodwork, and three pocket doors.
228 W Ash Street
Maria Greenham House Est. 1853 Nancy Mullenbrock
This Greek Revival-style house was built for Maria Greenham, widow of Nicholas Greenham. Nicholas was a well-known businessman and the first warden (along with Col. John Johnston) of St. James Episcopal Church. Many of the original walls are three bricks thick. When major exterior work was done in 2005, what appears to be the original oak-hewn rain gutters were found (and are still there) under the roof extensions. Five doctors have been associated with this building from 1896 to 1994—Dr. Oliver Tydings, Dr. James Murray, Dr. John Beachler, Sr., Dr. John Beachler, Jr and
Alka Shah, MD. The first four doctors lived upstairs and practiced downstairs for part or all of their careers. Per Kyle Fincel of Fincel Door, the first electric garage door installed in Piqua was done here for John Beachler, Sr.
324 W Greene St.
Carrie Barber House Est. 1892 Ann & Michael Blanck
The Carrie Barber House located at 324/326 West Greene Street is a Queen Anne Victorian. Named for his wife, Carrie Young Barber, Mr. Myron E. Barber was president of the Piqua Handle Company. He commissioned “Piqua’s favorite architect”, Joseph W. Yost, to design his home completed in 1891 by contractor I.J. Whitlock. Amid Yost’s noteworthy designs is Piqua’s Historic Plaza Hotel erected in 1891. Both properties share the prestigious listing on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
500 N Downing Street
St. Paul’s Kirche Est. 1868 Contact: Melinda Sillman
The first church services at St. Paul’s Kirche were held in 1835. The land was then purchased in 1840 and by 1845 a large log cabin was moved to the lot. The Kirche constitution was established and ratified in 1846. The building that stands on the lot today was originally built in 1868 and since that time numerous renovations have taken place.
715 N Downing St
Edgar A. Todd House Est. 1888 Debora & Thomas Rezabek
This North Downing address is a Queen Anne house built in 1888. The house containing a tower, multiple nooks and crannies, multiple fireplaces, a traditional wrap-around porch, and detailed interior molding. The original owner, Edgar A. Todd, first started in the community working in his family store, located on Main Street. In 1899, he assisted in the formation of the Piqua Underwear Company with Clarence Langdon, and J.M. Cahill. In ten short months, Mr. Todd, alongside Leo M. Flesh, and William P. Orr, purchased the company and renamed it the Atlas Underwear Company, making Piqua, Ohio, the “underwear capital of the world.”
620 Caldwell St.
Allen G Rundle House Est. 1914 Randall and Jennifer (Fazio) Breaden
Located at 620 Caldwell Street, the historic Allen G. Rundle House is a fine example of Prairie Style architecture. In 1912, Mr. Rundle commissioned
Harry Williams of the prominent Dayton architectural firm Schenck & Williams to design the home. Airhart M. Fry was tasked with the construction. Williams defined the clean horizontal lines of the exterior with the use of stucco, cooper flashings, wood, stone and brick, while the interior offers flowing living space for both dining and entertainment. The home is detailed with intricate craftsmanship.
722 Caldwell St.
Frank Irwin House Est. 1894 Todd Robert Allen
This Queen Anne style home was completed in 1894 and is attributed to I.J. Whitlock, a Piqua-based architect and master builder. The house has several features of this style, among them a turret with a conical roof, a Palladian window in the gable area, and a belt course that separates the first story from the second. The house was built for Frank Irwin, a cashier at Citizen’s National Bank. Mr. Irwin later became bank Vice-President. For many years the house was home to the family of Albert G. Roeser, President of the
Piqua Ice Company.
322 Boone St.
Chester Sheridan House Est. 1906 Andrew Snyder
The home was built by Chester Sheridan in 1906 who was a dentist practicing in Piqua. At some time during its history the home was converted into a double and used as a rental property. The current homeowner purchased the house in 2008 and has since renovated the home making it once again a single family dwelling.
525 Caldwell St.
Dr. Robert M Shannon House Est. 1915 Greg and Mia Campbell
The Dr. Robert M. Shannon house is a beautiful colonial revival that sits in the heart of the Piqua-Caldwell Historic District. Dr. Shannon completed construction of his 3032 square foot home for Dr. Shannon and his wife in 1915. The home was designed with many unique features that are still present today such as a sun porch, glass-tiled walls, built-in china cabinet, and beautiful crown
molding and trim throughout.
621 Caldwell St.
Abraham Louis House Est. 1908 Jason and Christina Wellman
Abraham “Abe” Louis commissioned Airhart M. Fry to build this beautiful home in 1908. Airhart Fry’s signature can be seen in the
south living room wall above the fireplace and under turquoise paint. Abe worked in sales for Atlas Underwear and opened their New York office in the Empire State Building. The home features beautiful beveled lead glass windows and also plate glass windows. The downstairs hallway chandelier is from the home at 500 N Wayne St that was built in 1847. There is an enclosed back porch upstairs that Abe added later to help with his wife’s failing health.
526 N. Wayne St.
William Webster Wood House Est. 1876 Rick and Melanie Walker
Constructed for William W. Wood in 1876, this two-story, three-bay brick residence is among Piqua’s finest examples of High
Victorian Italianate style architecture. Found at the corner of the building is an 1890 Queen Anne Style rear addition which features a conical roofed circular stone tower with an iron pinnacle. The interior of this home features a formal entry with curved stairway, five unique fireplaces, 12 foot ceilings, beautiful woodwork and an elevator.
321 W Greene St
Charles E. Yager House Est. 1877 Barbara & John A Schwarz
This home is believed to be Federal Style built in 1877. It has five rooms and one bath on the first floor and four rooms, a bath and sun porch (used as a summer sleeping room before air conditioning) on the second floor. There are two finished rooms in the attic along with a third bathroom. The home is accented with original leaded glass windows in several rooms including the entry way, living room bookcase, stairway, dining room china cabinet and second floor bathroom. The cooking chimney and floor in the kitchen has been uncovered and restored.
618 N Wayne St
Dorsey-Jones House Est. 1842 Barb Hartzell
Dr. Godwin Volney Dorsey built this Federal Style home in 1842. The home features 18” brick walls and twin chimney stacks which are tied together which were typical of many of Piqua’s older homes. This two story, three bay, brick home was later purchased by M. H. Jones in 1853 and it remained in the Jones Family for over 50 years. Mr. Jones was a pioneer attorney in Piqua and served in 1858 as a representative to the Ohio legislative.
220 W Greene St
Francis Jarvis House Est. 1851 Susie & Wayne Pope
This residence was constructed in 1851 for Francis Jarvis, a tallow chandler who operated a soap and candle factory, and the residence remained in the Jarvis family until 1973. Typical of the Greek Revival Style brick houses built during this period, the Jarvis House has a later Italianate one story porch with a handsome balustrade balcony. The short axis of this 2-story, 3-bay brick residence faces the street and the entrance in the right bay has a massive natural wood frontispiece with two pilasters and sidelights. Extensive rear additions compliment the original portion and a matching frieze encircles the entire building.
603 N Wayne St.
Godwin Volney Dorsey House Est. 1850 Laura Jackson
600 N Downing St.
Herrmann House Est. 1902 Jennifer & Paul Herrmann
608 N Downing St
Hughes-Wilkinson House Est. 1888 Barb & Tom Hudson
This Greek Revival style home was built in 1850 by Dr. G. V. Dorsey whose medical practice was housed in the addition which is now an apartment. After Dr. Dorseys death in 1885, his son Walker McCorkle Dorsey and his wife took possession and lived there until their death. The house was then sold to Fritz and Betty Hemmert in 1954. The Hemmerts re-apportioned the 25 rooms and made
a second apartment plus the carriage apartment which have their own private entrances on North Street. Laura and Jeff Jackson bought the home from Betty Hemmert in 2001.
This 3300 square foot Greek Revival home was built in 1902 for Charity Ellan Leonard, the widow of banker and industrialist Lewis Leonard. The two story frame residence exhibits fine neo-classical detailing and shows the effect of Beaux-Arts Classicism on domestic architecture. The home includes elements of both Colonial Revival and Greek Revival architecture with many original features that still exist such as entablature, a leaded glass fanlight, pilasters and leaded glass sidelights in the entrance and beautiful stained glass windows, original wood work and original hardwood floors throughout.
The Hughes-Wilkinson House was moved to its present location in 1906 from two lots north to make room for LM Flesh’s mansion. The house is dominated by the slate covered, flaring hip roof with wide eaves and low relief brackets. Hip roofed dormers and corbel cap chimneys punctuate the roof. The elongated 1/1 DHS windows have stone lintels and sills. Several on the simple porch with round column supports span the facade. A stone watertable encircles the dwelling.
400 Caldwell St.
Francis Morrow House Est. 1851
Lori Hedberg & Laura Schwein
This 5,296 square foot Greek Revival home was built by Francis Morrow in 1851 and carriage house in 1852. The front addition featuring Victoriancharacteristics, was built in the early 1870s. A Palladian window can be seen in the gable which was a unique design element not common in a home of this time period. Many other original features still exist in the home such as the stain glass windows, wood work, and floors. The vestibule features Lincrusta and original tile work, and foyer and staircase are original to the home. The dining room fireplace is accented with tiles by John Moyr Smith based on theWaverly Novels by Sir Walter Scott. The carriage house features a Mansard roof which was considered a “cutting edge" design for that time period.
528 N Downing St.
John Vallery House Est. 1898 Denise & Rick Klosterman
I898, John Vallery employed Airhart M Fry to begin construction of this beautiful home. Notice the Palladian window in the gable on the front façade and the iron roof cresting of this Queen Anne Style house in yellow pressed brick. Featured in this home are five sets of working pocket doors, six fireplaces, a Newal post lamp, a large stained glass window, original hardwood floors, dining room furniture made by Cron-Kills Furniture Company, a widow’s walk, Rookwood tile and original light bulbs in the archway in the foyer. Most light fixtures are original with both
gas and electricity and the shades in the chandelier in the family room are signed Steuben. A headed “conservatory” was added in 1913 and in 2005 the attic was finished to include a family room, bar and full bathroom.
400 N Downing St.
George H Rundle House Est. 1908 Mary Frances & Scott Rodriguez
This English Tudor Revival home was built by Airhart Marian Fry, Sr. for George H Rundle, who manufactured medicinal products such as Porter’s Pain King, Porter’s Liniment, Porter’s Salve and more. With a total building cost of $20,000, construction of the home and carriage house took two years beginning in 1906. The interior features Arts and Crafts design elements including original bronze light fixtures, herringbone designed oak wood flooring, numerous original furnishings, beautiful stained glass windows and is rumored to be the only home in Piqua with an Inglenook.
612 Caldwell St.
Leonard Parker House Est. 1878 Diane & Tim Collette
This Italianate home was built in 1878 by Leonard and Elizabeth (Lizzie) Parker. Lizzie purchased the property in 1877 for $15,000. The property had previously been the site of North School from 1846 to 1874 when it was torn down and the school relocated to Park Avenue. The original design of the house did not include the wraparound porch. The porch was added sometime between 1887 and 1910. The house retains the original stained glass windows, pocket doors, plaster moldings, and carved woodwork as well as the carriage house in the back of the property.
333 W Greene St.
Samuel Gordon House Est. 1843 Sue & Don Smith
In 1843, Samuel Gordan ordered construction of a Chaste Greek Revival Style two-story, five-bay home. George Yeager purchased the property and made intensive modifications in 1879 and changed the roof to California Mission Style in 1913. In 1916, J.F. Phillippi, resided in the home and in the 1930’s sold to George A Flesh, who lived in the home until it was sold to Dr. and Mrs. W. Weis. Dr. Weis was a prominent local physician. Mrs. Miriam Thedieck Weis was a prominent socialite in the Piqua community.
324 Caldwell St.
Louis Ostertag House Est. 1906 Shelley & Chuck Black
In 1906, Louis and Rose Ostertag built this two story Queen Anne frame home featuring cut-out corners on the first floor and an attic level Palladian style window. The Ostertag family was very active in the Anshe Emeth congregation and helped campaign for the first permanent temple that was built immediately to the south of their home in 1925. The Ostertag's daughter, New York broadway star and talent agent Barna Ostertag, reflected her father owned one of the city's first phonographs and fondly remembered listening to classical opera in the home as a child.
324 W Ash St
William Scott House Est. 1853 Chad Spruance
A beautiful example of Italianate architecture, the William Scott House was built in 1853. The house is just a bit over 7,500 square feet including seven bedrooms and four and a half baths. Built with entertaining, comfort and beauty in mind, this house includes a large formal entry, formal dining room, a parlor, eight fireplaces, intricate stained glass throughout and much of its original woodwork. A distinguished Porte-cochere make this home highly recognizable and the original stables serve as a garage today. The prodigious porch was added in 1888 and adds to the ambiance of this beautiful home.